Third District Court Judges
Michigan Third District Court Information
State of Michigan Office Building
350 Ottawa, NW
Grand Rapids, MI 49503-2349
The Grand Rapids office is in the State Office Building, on floor “O.”
From the East or West: Approach via I-96, following the signs to downtown Grand Rapids. Exit at Ottawa Avenue (exit 77C). Proceed down the exit ramp and continue straight through the intersection. You will be on Ottawa, a one-way street. The Office of the Clerk is in the State Office Building on your left at 350 Ottawa NW. You can enter the State Office Building via Ottawa Avenue. The Clerk’s office is on level “O” and the courtroom is on level “CT.”
Parking: Limited metered parking is available. For more extended parking, you may park in the underground parking ramp located across the street from the State Office Building. There is a small sign near the entrance of the ramp that says “Government Center.”
From the South or North: Follow US-131 North and exit at Pearl Street. Turn east and follow Pearl Street for three short blocks. Turn left (north) at Ionia Street. Ionia is a one-way street. Follow Ionia north for two blocks. The State Office Building has an entrance on Ionia Street. The building is at the end of the second block on the left side of the road.
Parking: For limited parking, you can park at one of the meters on Ionia or in the metered parking lot across from the State Office Building. For extended periods, you may park at the Ellis Parking lot on Ionia or circle around the State Office Building and park at the underground parking ramp off Ottawa Street. There is a small sign near the entrance of the ramp that says “Government Center.”
Third District Judges
- Jane M. Beckering: Appointed to the Court of Appeals in 2007 and elected in 2008; term expires January 1, 2019.
- Mark T. Boonstra: Appointed to the Court of Appeals in 2012; term expires January 1, 2019.
- Joel P. Hoekstra: Elected to the court in 1994; term expires January 1, 2017.
- Jane E. Markey: Elected to the court in 1994; term expires January 1, 2015.
- William B. Murphy: Appointed to the court in 1988. Judge Murphy served as Chief Judge Pro Tem from 1992-96. In November 2009, Judge Murphy was selected as the eighth Chief Judge of the Michigan Court of Appeals; term expires January 1, 2019.
- David H. Sawyer: Elected to the court in 1986; term expires January 1, 2017.
- Douglas B. Shapiro: Appointed on February 2, 2009, as a judge on the Michigan Court of Appeals; term expires January 1, 2019.
In Michigan, there are four district courts: