Justia Lawyer Rating
10 Best, Attorney Client Satisfaction Badge from the American Institute of Criminal Law Attorneys
Top 100 Trial Lawyers Badge from The National Trial Lawyers
Top 100 Badge from America's Top 100 Criminal Defense Attorneys
Avvo Rating, 10.0 Scott Grabel
Top 10, Attorney and Practice Magazine's, Criminal Defense Law Firm

State and Federal Criminal Appeals FAQs in Michigan

Writ of Habeas Corpus

The attorneys at Grabel & Associates are premier trial and appellate lawyers. We are experienced in all aspects of post-conviction claims including federal habeas corpus cases and motions for relief from judgment (also known as “6500 Motions”).

Continue Reading

Crimes Eligible for Expungement in Michigan

Take this seven question test to see if you may be eligible to have your criminal record set aside in Michigan. If you are, call our attorneys for expert legal representation to help you put your past behind you.

You are not required by law to have an attorney handle a petition to have a criminal record sealed — but the courts recommend that you do. The steps involved can be tedious and the courts will not cut you any slack just because you chose to represent yourself. If you file the wrong information, complete forms improperly, or make other mistakes, your application could be denied.

Continue Reading

FAQs: Why file an appeal?

Four Reasons Why You Might Want to Consider Talking to An Experienced Appellate Lawyer

  • Because sometimes, innocent people really do get convicted.
  • Because sentences that are imposed by judges are not always fair.
  • Because defendants, like everyone else, have constitutional rights that must be honored by the legal system.
  • Because an experienced and aggressive appellate lawyer may still be able to improve the outcome of your case.
Continue Reading

FAQs: What can I appeal?

If you have been found guilty after a trial, you can appeal:

  • The conviction (verdict), and/or
  • The sentence

Remember, if you plead guilty, you may have forfeited your right to appeal the conviction. However, you may be able to withdraw your guilty plea under certain circumstances.

Even if you plead guilty, you can still appeal your sentence. However, your attorney must prove that the sentence was higher than was allowed by law, or than was agreed to in a plea bargain.

You may also be able to …

Continue Reading

FAQS: How are criminal appeals decided?

The appellate court reviews a record of the trial court (or administrative agency) ruling to see if any legal errors were made that may have affected a verdict or sentence. The appellant is responsible for timely submission of the Record of Appeal to the court.

The court does not hear new witness testimony in an appeal, nor does it except new evidence except under strict guidelines and only under certain circumstances. The court of appeals is a supervisory court; it purpose is to review decisions and to assess whether or not there were any legal errors, or bias, or conflict of interest that affect the decision…

Continue Reading

FAQS: The Right to An Appeal

If you have been convicted of a crime by a trial court in the federal system you may be entitled to appeal the decision to a federal court of appeals. Both the government and the defendant have certain rights to appeal …

Continue Reading

FAQS: What happens when you win an appeal?

In most situations, it you win your appeal, you case will be “remanded.” This means the case will be sent back to the trial court or judge responsible for your conviction and/or sentencing. If the case is remanded, you might…

Continue Reading

FAQs: What is an appeal?

An appeal is a request to a supervisory court that is usually composed of a panel of judges, to change the legal ruling of a lower court. The process of exercising the right to submit a request for review of a decision made by another court is referred to as “to appeal” or “to take an appeal.”

Appeals are made in state and federal courts, and may end up going all the way to the Michigan Supreme Court, or even the United States Supreme Court…

Continue Reading

FAQs: How much does a criminal appeal cost?

Hiring an attorney may seem like yet another legal expense, however, an experienced appellate lawyer may be able to help you get a reduced sentence, a new trial, a record expunged, or improve the outcome of your conviction in some other way. Each case is different, and we determine our fees in accordance with the level of offense and time your case will require. To help you have easier access to quality legal representation, our fees are reasonable and our law firm accepts major credit cards. We also invite you to contact our attorneys for a free initial consultation to discuss your case, legal options and possible outcomes, as well as fees involved.

Some of the costs associated with post-conviction legal services and appeals include…

Continue Reading

FAQs: Which Court to Appeal To

The court of appeals in which to file an appeal depends on which trial court’s decision you are appealing. There are three trial courts in Michigan: circuit, district (including four municipal courts), and probate. Appeals are also sometimes filed with the “court of last resort” or the Michigan Supreme Court, and some appeals make it all the way to the U.S. Supreme Court. Here is a list of which court to file an appeal in Michigan.

Continue Reading

Client Reviews

Scott Grabel was kind enough to look into my situation and take his time to speak with me free of charge. Most attorneys will not do that. He gave me reassurance that I had nothing to worry about. If I am ever in need of an attorney in the future I will be calling Scott Grabel and will highly recommend him to anyone with a legal issue. G. K.
Great job Tim, Scott, Daniel very aggressive and knowledgeable They always call you back if you have questions even after hours the best outcome I could've hoped for thanks again R. E.
Great lawyer he went into court and ripped the girl trying to lie on me a new one. He fot me off on all charges and with out him i would be in prision. Thank you so much i will definitely keep your number and pass it on to any one in trouble and keep it for future incase i ever have to go back to court K. J.