The Right to an Appeal?

FAQS: The Right to an Appeal

All FAQs

FAQs About Michigan Criminal Appeals

Who Has the Right to File an Appeal?

If you have been convicted of a crime by a trial court in the federal system you may be entitled to appeal the decision to a federal court of appeals. Both the government and the defendant have certain rights to appeal:

  • In a criminal case, the defendant has the right to appeal a guilty verdict (some exceptions apply).
  • If the defendant is found not guilty, the government may not appeal the verdict.
  • Either side in a criminal case may appeal a sentence imposed after a guilty verdict.

The courts do not require you to use an attorney to file an appeal; however, due to the complexity of appellate law, especial for federal appeals, it is in your best interest to hire an experienced appellate lawyer to handle your appeal.

More Information About Appeals