Justia Lawyer Rating
10 Best, Attorney Client Satisfaction Badge from the American Institute of Criminal Law Attorneys
Top 100 Trial Lawyers Badge from The National Trial Lawyers
Top 100 Badge from America's Top 100 Criminal Defense Attorneys
Avvo Rating, 10.0 Scott Grabel
Top 10, Attorney and Practice Magazine's, Criminal Defense Law Firm

Crimes Eligible for Expungement in Michigan

Who Is Eligible to Have a Conviction Set Aside?

Michigan Criminal Record Expungement Attorneys

Under Michigan law a person that has been convicted of a crime may apply to have one felony or two misdemeanor convictions expunged from their record.

If you are able to answer "no" to all of the following seven questions may be eligible to have your adult criminal conviction set aside and made nonpublic.

  1. Do you have a federal conviction?
  2. Do you have a criminal conviction in another state?
  3. Were you convicted of a felony or an attempt to commit a felony for which the maximum punishment is life imprisonment?
  4. Were you convicted of felony criminal sexual conduct (first, second, or third degree), or assault with intent to commit criminal sexual conduct?
  5. Is the conviction you want to have set aside a traffic offense? A traffic offense is a conviction for violating the Michigan Vehicle Code or a local ordinance substantially corresponding to that act, which violation involves the operation of a vehicle.
  6. Has it been less than five years since the date of your conviction, or if you were imprisoned, has it been less than five years since you were released, discharged from parole or completed probation (whichever occurred last)?

If you answered yes to even one of the above questions, you are not eligible to have your Michigan criminal conviction made nonpublic.

A conviction for a non-traffic offense reportable to the Secretary of State may be set aside by the court, however, the court cannot order the removal of the conviction from your driving record.

For a detailed listing of government agencies that are able to access criminal records that have been set aside, see the Nonpublic and Limited-Access Court Records Chart.

East Lansing Michigan Conviction Set Aside Attorneys

Serving all of Michigan including Detroit, Kalamazoo, Grand Rapids, and Saginaw

You are not required by law to have an attorney handle a petition to have a criminal record sealed— but the courts recommend that you do. The steps involved can be tedious and the courts will not cut you any slack just because you chose to represent yourself. If you file the wrong information, complete forms improperly, or make other mistakes, your application could be denied.

Your future is at stake— don't take chances with having your record follow you. Hire an attorney with experience in successfully navigation the conviction set aside process.

For a free consultation call us today at 1-800-342-7896.


Client Reviews

Scott Grabel was kind enough to look into my situation and take his time to speak with me free of charge. Most attorneys will not do that. He gave me reassurance that I had nothing to worry about. If I am ever in need of an attorney in the future I will be calling Scott Grabel and will highly recommend him to anyone with a legal issue. G. K.
Great job Tim, Scott, Daniel very aggressive and knowledgeable They always call you back if you have questions even after hours the best outcome I could've hoped for thanks again R. E.
Great lawyer he went into court and ripped the girl trying to lie on me a new one. He fot me off on all charges and with out him i would be in prision. Thank you so much i will definitely keep your number and pass it on to any one in trouble and keep it for future incase i ever have to go back to court K. J.