Appeal by Right
Appeal of Right
East Lansing, Michigan, Appeals Lawyer
Filing an Appeal of Right
An Appeal of Right is an appeal made to a higher court that does not require permission from the court before it can be filed.
An Appeal of Right must be filed within:
- 21 days after the entry of the order or judgment appealed from; or
- 21 days after the entry of an order denying a motion for new trial or judgment notwithstanding the verdict, a motion for rehearing or reconsideration, or a motion for other post judgment relief, if the motion was filed within the original 21 day period.
A motion for rehearing or reconsideration of a motion mentioned in Michigan Court Rules (MCR) Subrule (B)(1)(b) does not extend the time for filing a claim of appeal, unless the motion for rehearing or reconsideration was itself filed within the 21 day period.
- First Steps in Filing an Appeal
- Which Court to File an Appeal
- Filing an Appeal by Application for Leave